Is Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) cutting it in your support center? This competitive document details the key advantages Bomgar provides over Windows’ built-in remote access tools, including the ability to run RDP sessions securely through the Bomgar Box.
Is RDP Designed for Remote Support?
While many companies use RDP simply because it is included with Windows, it may be costing the support center more in productivity than it saves in purchase price. As long ago as 2009, Gartner stated that “Legacy remote control tools are incapable of supporting increasingly complex environments, and companies must find new ways to provide support services to users.” [PC Remote Control Security: Risks & Recommendations]
In addition, RDP is not built to deal with the security threats in the current IT landscape. No centralized management or auditing is possible, and connecting across the internet requires punching holes in the company firewall. This may be fine for very small companies on a single LAN, but global corporations can’t afford the risk of data breach this entails. According to Trustwave Spiderlabs, “Remote access remained the most widely used method of infiltration in 2012. Unfortunately for victim organizations, the front door is still open.” [2013 Global Security Report]
We compare Bomgar with RDP by looking at the following:
- Cost: How much time and money does the solution cost to implement and manage? Does the solution create gains in productivity?
- Development: Is the solution keeping pace with developments in the IT landscape?
- Security: Is the solution designed to enable security best practices?
- Platform Support: How does the solution handle support between different platforms?
- Management: Does the solution enable centralized management of reps’ toolset and permissions?
- Integration: Does the solution enable a seamless support process through integration with ITSM and CRM tools?