PowerBroker Identity Services for Active Directory Bridging
Extend Microsoft® Active Directory authentication, single sign-on capabilities and Group Policy configuration management to Unix, Linux and Mac systems, to improve efficiency, simplify compliance and reduce risk.
Active Directory and Group Policy for Integrating Unix, Linux and Mac into Windows Environments
PowerBroker Identity Services centralizes authentication for Unix, Linux and Mac environments by extending Active Directory's Kerberos authentication and single sign-on capabilities to these platforms. By extending Group Policy to non-Windows platforms, PowerBroker provides centralized configuration management, reducing the risk and complexity of managing a heterogeneous environment. [See supported platforms]
- Allow users to leverage their AD credentials to access Unix, Linux or Mac systems
- Attain consistent configuration by extending native group policy management tools to include settings for Unix, Linux and Mac
- Audit several events in real time; access results through the PowerBroker console or forward to third-party solutions
- Transition users from desktops to remote machines or between systems, without requiring them to re-enter credentials
- Consolidate directories to simplify management of complex environments
- Consolidate Credentials, Increase Efficiency
- Allows users to log onto Unix, Linux, or Mac systems using their Active Directory (AD) usernames and passwords, without requiring additional infrastructure or password synchronization. Enables IT to leverage AD group membership to centrally control server and workstation access. Provides a single password policy set in AD to all joined systems, including Kerberos SSO for SAP, Siebel, and other key enterprise applications.
- Extend Group Policy to Achieve Compliance
- Enables consistent configuration enterprise-wide by extending native Group Policy management tools to include specific group policy settings for Unix, Linux and Mac. Supports compliance with SOX, PCI, HIPAA, and other regulations across all systems by replacing NIS with an Active Directory infrastructure.
- Simplify Administration via Directory Consolidation
- Facilitates migration from multiple authentication mechanisms, identities, and directories to a single Active Directory-based infrastructure for all systems and users. This centralizes control and speeds user onboarding and offboarding.
- Comprehensive Platform Support
- Supports a wide range of Unix, Linux and Mac platforms including CentOS, Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Suse, RedHat, Solaris, Ubuntu and others, running on VMs to connect them with Active Directory.
- Empower administrators: Provide a single familiar tool set to manage both Windows and Unix systems. Perform account maintenance and password updates through a single directory administration tool (Active Directory Users and Computers).
- Reduce costs: Leverage existing Active Directory deployments to centrally manage heterogeneous workstations and users.
- Configuration: Enables one-to-many management of Unix, Linux, and Mac OS X configuration settings.
- Manage Active Directory from Linux or Mac OS X: Provides a pluggable framework with an interface similar to Microsoft's Management Console on Linux or Mac OS X.
- User management: Allow users to use their Active Directory credentials (Username and Password) to gain access to Unix, Linux and Mac, consolidating various password files, NIS and LDAP repositories into Active Directory and removing the need to manage user accounts separately on Mac workstations and server platforms
- Extend Mac OS X: Full support for Apple’s Workgroup Manager application, allowing for seamless management and control of Mac system settings
- Open Source Version Available: Try PowerBroker Identity Services Open for free. With access to the product source code, you can tailor your Active Directory bridging project to your specific needs.
- Extend Active Directory: PowerBroker Identity Services is the only solution that does not have to modify your Active Directory schema to add Linux, Unix, & Mac OS X systems to your network.
- Granular Reporting: Effortlessly manage and view access privileges for users and groups through customizable reports. Provide audit details to audit and compliance teams via enterprise-spanning access and authorization reports.
- Extend Group Policy: Extend the capabilities of native group policy management tools to include specific group policy settings for Unix, Linux and Mac – achieving a consistent configuration across the enterprise.
- SSO: Get single sign-on for any enterprise application that supports Kerberos or LDAP, including Samba, Apache, SSH, Websphere, JBoss, Tomcat, Oracle, and MySQL.
- File sharing: Support for Remote Network file share access for Mac and Linux systems.
- Access control: Centrally control access to non-Windows systems by defining which users are permitted to log onto which systems via Active Directory.
PowerBroker Identity Services
Download this overview document containing capabilities, highlights and competitive advantages of PowerBroker Identity Services. PowerBroker Identity Services centralizes authentication for Unix, Linux and Mac environments by extending Active Directory’s Kerberos authentication and single sign-on capabilities to these platforms. The solution also provides centralized configuration management across a heterogeneous environment by extending Group Policy to these non-Windows platforms.
PowerBroker Identity Services 8.2: Supported Platforms
This document lists the the operating systems supported for PowerBroker Identity Services 8.2.
Major Telecom Company Migrates from NIS to Active Directory with BeyondTrust
With PowerBroker Identity Services, the BeyondTrust deployment team and systems administrators at a major telecom company dramatically reduced the complexity of the IT environment, both by consolidating the NIS domains, and eliminating approximately 97,000 inactive user accounts.
BeyondTrust Webcast: “The Privileged Identity Management Health Check” with guest speaker Andras Cser
BeyondTrust recently hosted a webcast presentation featuring Andras Cser, VP and Principal Analyst with Forrester Research, Inc., on “The Privileged Identity Management Health Check.” Below is a summary of key takeaways from the webcast, plus an on-demand video recording of the full presentation. Cser shares his perspective on why Privileged Identity Management (PIM) is such... more
If you’re responsible for your organization’s Active Directory environment, you probably know how time-consuming it can be to audit and recover AD changes. Maybe there was a particular incident where manually tracking down an errant change and putting things back in order involved too much blood, sweat and tears – or maybe you’ve simply spent... more
Recently our VP of Marketing, Mike Yaffe, wrote an insightful piece, Top 8 Security Insights for 2014, which was featured on a few publications last week. This was a “what we’re predicting in 2014″ type of article that goes into predictions and expectations for the new year around security and privilege. An excerpt and link to the... more
Did you know that 40% of employees have unnecessary access rights? What about that over 25% of employees admitted to having retrieved information not relevant to their job like financial, reports, salary info, HR and personnel docs? Now have I caught your attention? As our latest security survey proves, insider threats continue to be a... more
Did you know about the create custom audit views and reports feature in the PowerBroker Auditor for Active Directory solution? Even though there are already around 200 built-in audit views that ship with the product organizations need to be able to target specific information for their environment and the task that is at hand. Needless... more
PCI DSS Requirement 8 requires that organizations must be able to identify and log all user and administrative access to information systems and applications containing credit card and personally identifiable information. In addition, environments must also have a unique ID for every individual that will have computer access to these systems. This simple requirement can... more
We’re proud to announce that we’ve scheduled the next installments of BeyondTrust University. BeyondTrust’s commitment to our customer’s success goes beyond the typical vendor/client relationship. To better serve our customers and partners who rely upon our privilege identity and vulnerability management solutions, we have developed a world-class training curriculum to complement our award-winning security and... more
We are very excited for the announcement of our latest release of PowerBroker Identity Services 7.5, the industry’s most effective solution for bridging Linux, UNIX and Mac OS X assets into Active Directory. This latest update provides the strongest communications encryption to date, as well as the utmost flexibility with regards to event notification and management.... more
Did you know about the native tool integration feature in the PowerBroker Management Suite? PowerBroker solution functionality is available through the native Microsoft administration tools referred to as Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). These are the tools that administrators use on a day to day basis to manage their environment. What is it? – It’s... moreSee all PowerBroker Identity Services blog posts