For more detail on this topic, attend the webinar Defense in Depth: Implementing a Layered Privileged Password Security Strategy, Wednesday, October 5th @ 12pm ET.Passwords, like any sensitive piece of information, should be protected using a number of methods as well. For some of you, your passwords are secured with little more than knowing which excel spreadsheet they’re stored in. But, when you consider the value those privileged password have – especially in the hands of the malicious external attacker or even a disgruntled insider – you can see how privileged passwords need more of a layered security approach to ensure appropriate access and usage. Privileged passwords can be secured using layers that address the following issues:
- Who has access to a privileged account’s password?
- Where can that password be used? Is it on a single server or everywhere?
- When can the password be used? Working hours? After hours?
- How can the password be used? Over an RDP connection? Using a secure proxy?
- What kinds of accountability are in place to ensure proper use? Approvals? Notifications?