What is privileged access management, and how do you minimize resistance?By definition PAM, is comprised of 4 primary disciplines:
- Privileged Password and Session Management
- Privilege Elevation and Delegation Management
- Active Directory Bridgin for Unix, Linux and Mac
- Privilege Auditing and Reporting
- Domain Administrators or Root on non-Windows assets
- Service Accounts
- User Administrator Accounts
- Application to Application (API) Coding
- Removal or root privileges on Unix Linux
- Removal of secondary administrator or root accounts for all end users
- Elimination of needed accounts per department like the helpdesk
- Windows Server administrators
- Will I still be able to administer servers while I am working from home or on the road?
- Will I be able to change the clock or add printers on my laptop?
- If a program is no longer working, who should I call?
- Why are you removing my x-admin account?
- I am a developer. How can I compile code or access test servers?
Morey J. Haber, Chief Security Officer, BeyondTrust
Morey J. Haber is the Chief Security Officer at BeyondTrust. He has more than 25 years of IT industry experience and has authored three books: Privileged Attack Vectors, Asset Attack Vectors, and Identity Attack Vectors. He is a founding member of the industry group Transparency in Cyber, and in 2020 was elected to the Identity Defined Security Alliance (IDSA) Executive Advisory Board. Morey currently oversees BeyondTrust security and governance for corporate and cloud based solutions and regularly consults for global periodicals and media. He originally joined BeyondTrust in 2012 as a part of the eEye Digital Security acquisition where he served as a Product Owner and Solutions Engineer since 2004. Prior to eEye, he was Beta Development Manager for Computer Associates, Inc. He began his career as Reliability and Maintainability Engineer for a government contractor building flight and training simulators. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.