- What is stopping you from changing your passwords and making sure they are unique?
- What is stopping you from running Windows Update?
- What is stopping you from following cybersecurity best practices for hygiene?
- Are you annoyed that I am asking so many questions?
For Cybersecurity Awareness Month, There is a Direct CorrelationIf you have done nothing to improve your cybersecurity posture so far this month, why? Is it greed, ignorance, apathy, pride, and envy? Seriously, if you:
- Have not removed admin rights to secure systems you might be greedy
- Are unaware that reusing the same password on multiple systems is a threat, you may be experiencing ignorance
- Think an attack cannot happen to you, you may be exhibiting pride
The Outcome of this Month is to Raise AwarenessBeyondTrust understands it is difficult to change user behavior. Changing, teaching, and even gathering relevant facts is required to convince people of the need. Consider this month a time to reflect on human traits. Ask yourself how can I improve, and if needed, consider the survey we just completed. The results should help communicate why this month is so important and why we all need to change.
Morey J. Haber, Chief Technology Officer and Chief Information Security Officer at BeyondTrust
Morey J. Haber is Chief Technology Officer and Chief Information Security Officer at BeyondTrust. He has more than 25 years of IT industry experience and has authored four Apress books: Privileged Attack Vectors (2 Editions), Asset Attack Vectors, and Identity Attack Vectors. In 2018, Bomgar acquired BeyondTrust and retained the BeyondTrust name. He originally joined BeyondTrust in 2012 as a part of the eEye Digital Security acquisition. Morey currently oversees BeyondTrust strategy for privileged access management and remote access solutions. In 2004, he joined eEye as Director of Security Engineering and was responsible for strategic business discussions and vulnerability management architectures in Fortune 500 clients. Prior to eEye, he was Development Manager for Computer Associates, Inc. (CA), responsible for new product beta cycles and named customer accounts. He began his career as Reliability and Maintainability Engineer for a government contractor building flight and training simulators. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.