- Old Mainframe applications.
- Software used for running an office (printer drivers) or the desktop itself (defragmentor)
- Third party point of sale software provided to retailers.
- Adobe and Flash software.
- Respondents from industries such as oil, automotive, and chemical cited technical applications which, although used by a handful of employees, still enforce the entire desktop to be set to administrator or super user status.
- Applications downloaded by individual employees from the web to help them do their job better: for example, financial trading software.
- Applications downloaded and installed by employees for their own entertainment, including: iPhone applications, and in one instance, a Golf Course Game Application.
Scott Lang, Sr. Director, Product Marketing at BeyondTrust
Scott Lang has nearly 20 years of experience in technology product marketing, currently guiding the product marketing strategy for BeyondTrust’s privileged account management solutions and vulnerability management solutions. Prior to joining BeyondTrust, Scott was director of security solution marketing at Dell, formerly Quest Software, where he was responsible for global security campaigns, product marketing for identity and access management and Windows server management.