- Is mission critical information at risk because of a vulnerability that is exposed to the Internet or sensitive internal systems?
- Has a vulnerability already been effectively mitigated with network-level controls such as ACLs when no patch or remediation procedure was available?
- Do vulnerabilities in minor systems allow a hacker to escalate attacks to more critical systems?
- Are host configurations being continuously monitored to deliver near real-time risk management as required by FISMA?
- Direct exposure of a vulnerability to trusted and untrusted networks
- Indirect exposure of a vulnerability to untrusted networks through other vulnerable hosts
- The potential for a vulnerability to allow an attacker to escalate an attack deeper into the company network
- The business value of the vulnerable host and its relationship and communication to other systems
- The severity of a vulnerability based on the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS)
Morey J. Haber, Chief Security Officer at BeyondTrust
Morey J. Haber is the Chief Security Officer at BeyondTrust. He has more than 25 years of IT industry experience and has authored three books: Privileged Attack Vectors, Asset Attack Vectors, and Identity Attack Vectors. He is a founding member of the industry group Transparency in Cyber, and in 2020 was elected to the Identity Defined Security Alliance (IDSA) Executive Advisory Board. Morey currently oversees BeyondTrust security and governance for corporate and cloud based solutions and regularly consults for global periodicals and media. He originally joined BeyondTrust in 2012 as a part of the eEye Digital Security acquisition where he served as a Product Owner and Solutions Engineer since 2004. Prior to eEye, he was Beta Development Manager for Computer Associates, Inc. He began his career as Reliability and Maintainability Engineer for a government contractor building flight and training simulators. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.