U-Series Appliance Migration
This process only applies if the U-Series Appliance Management Software is at or above version 3.2.
Earlier versions of U-Series Appliance Management software require a manual process that is documented separately.
- Existing 2008, 2012 R2 U-Series Appliance = Source
- New 2016 U-Series Appliance = Target
- Only one U-Series Appliance is running at a time.
- The target U-Series Appliance will be named the same as the source U-Series Appliance when deployed.
- U-Series Appliance Management Software is at or above version 3.2 on the source and target machines.
The migration consists of the following general steps:
- Match software versions between the source and target U-Series Appliances.
- Back up and copy necessary data on the source U-Series Appliance.
- Prepare the target U-Series Appliance to accept data from the source.
- Restore and copy necessary data onto the target U-Series Appliance.
- Verify the migration.
Under most circumstances downtime is necessary, as there is no U-Series Appliance during the migration process.
- A standard migration takes approximately four hours with small databases between physical U-Series Appliances.
- A Virtual U-Series Appliance can be faster to deploy than a physical U-Series Appliance.
- Physical may involve reimaging if hardware supports the new image and the upgrade was purchased.
- For an active / active setup, the U-Series Appliance can be removed from the pool before migration and re-added after migration is complete. This prevents downtime for the end user.
Alternative Approaches Not Covered
- Physical U-Series Appliances: A replacement U-Series Appliance can be ordered.
- Virtual U-Series Appliances: A Windows Server 2016 can be deployed side by side.
- Beware DNS conflicts.
- Migration to preexisting U-Series Appliances.
- This process assumes brand new U-Series Appliance (configuration must be run).
- No data is kept on the target U-Series Appliance.
Use iDRAC to Perform the Reimaging and Migration Process
Although the process can be performed using iDRAC, we recommend there be a local resource in close physical proximity to the data center.
Once the reimaging USB flash drive has been inserted into the source U-Series Appliance, the migration can be performed through the iDRAC interface by logging in and using the virtual console. Any backups or exported data pertaining to the migration need to be stored on a network location or removable media for transfer to the new or reimaged U-Series Appliance.
To migrate U-Series Appliances that are part of a High Availability pair, follow these steps:
- Unpair the existing U-Series Appliance High Availability pair.
- Perform the full migration on the primary U-Series Appliance.
- Deploy a new secondary U-Series Appliance.
- Pair the two new U-Series Appliances for high availability.
Identify The Host
Find the Dell service tag to identify the hardware model at https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag.
If drives are protected by Bitlocker, a TPM module is required. A TPM module must be manually reset before reimaging (steps are included as part of the reimaging process).
Various tools have been added to the Secure Download Tool under migrate-to-win2016 (other tools that may be present are not required for this process):
- USB Image