Privileged Password Management and Privileged Session Management
Remote access solutions provide the ability to manage computer systems from a remote location. When properly deployed, remote access solutions provide significant benefits and cost-savings to organizations and managed service providers. These solutions allow companies to provide remote support in distributed environments and across customers. However, while these products can provide significant benefit and cost-savings, it is crucial that they be properly managed as system compromises can have a sweeping impact.
In many cases, administrators of these systems choose login credentials that can be guessed in attacks. Even strong, complex passwords may not be enough to prevent breaches. For instance, TeamViewer, LogMeIn and other remote access solutionsare often put at risk when the same usernames and passwords are used across the infrastructure – or when passwords are infrequently changed. Once credentials are compromised, attackers can access remote computers to siphon sensitive data from the organization or install custom malware.
The Risks Can Stem From a Simple Lack of Privileged Access Management on Remote Access Solutions
- Default or common passwords that are not configured correctly
- Shared credentials across multiple devices for management simplicity
- Excessive password ages due to fear of changing or lack of management capabilities
- Compromised or insider accounts making changes to allow exfiltration of data
- Outsourced devices and infrastructure where changes in personnel, contracts, and tools expose credentials to unaccountable individuals
Privileged Password Management For Remote Access Solutions
Two-factor authentication is now included and enabled by default with most remote access solutions. However, there is another rather simple and effective way to secure your remote access infrastructure – privileged password management solved in a single, completely automated solution:
- Ensuring no device has a default password for administrative accounts
- Guaranteeing each device has a unique complex password
- Automatically rotating passwords based on age and usage
- Limiting administrative access and communications to authorized individuals
Password Safe can secure privileged accounts across your enterprise environment, including:
- Local or domain shared administrator accounts
- Personal admin accounts (in the case of dual accounts)
- Service, operating system, network device, database (A2DB), and application (A2A) accounts
- SSH keys, cloud and social media accounts
Securing Remote Access Solutions with PowerBroker Password Safe
PowerBroker Password Safe enables you to secure your Remote Access Solution with complete control and audit over privileged account access.
- Discover all managed and unmanaged devices, including online and offline
- Provide verification that no default passwords exist on any hypervisor or managed device
- Manage all devices automatically using Smart Rules and store a unique password per each device
- Rotate each device password automatically based on age or after each login by an administrator
- Provide a complete workflow for device access, including an approval process for when administrative access is required
- Record all or select remote sessions with playback to document and review what occurs when a device is accessed
- Offer detailed reports of all credentials used and requested when activity occurs
- Deliver patent-pending analytics for abnormal device and credential access in a wide variety of available reports
Read the complete Data Sheet!