Challenge: Gain Tighter Control Over Privileges Without Impacting Employee Productivity
Founded in 1948, Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton is a leader in the fields of assurance, taxation, consulting, and recovery and reorganization services. The Firm owes its success to a team of more than 2,500 professionals, including some 230 partners who assist its clients to unlock their full potential for growth both locally and outside Canada.
As the leading accounting firm in Quebec, they serve dynamic organizations in all socioeconomic activity sectors including SMEs, large enterprises and public and par public organizations.
Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton is a member of Grant Thornton International Ltd, providing its clients with access to a solid global network of firms located worldwide.
Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton (RCGT) has experienced tremendous growth over the years. As a result, the IT team needed to manage their users’ workstations and laptops, many of which had different levels of access and different applications. The IT team had to find a way to balance user productivity but still implement privileged access control without impacting their employees’ ability to perform their jobs and serve RCGT’s customers.
The IT team needed a scalable way to administer user privileges and security for their environment. RCGT’s IT team needed to implement enterprise-wide security and access policies to ensure consistency and compliance. They wanted a solution that could help them remove unnecessary admin rights, protect sensitive information and centrally manage user access so that the employees would remain productive. Since much of their workforce was remote, user productivity was critical.
We needed a solution that would allow us to move away from managing privileges strictly by user to managing privilege by application. Our employees use a combination of newer and legacy applications. We needed to ensure they could continue working and serving our customers without being burdened by a lengthy privileged access process.
– Peter Layoun, IT Director
After evaluating several solutions, RCGT chose BeyondTrust’s PowerBroker for Windows for least privileged access management. While other solutions offered similar functionality, it was the support and services from BeyondTrust that stood out. BeyondTrust’s support and sales engineers worked with the IT team to determine the best options to address their use case through a proof of concept session.
With PowerBroker for Windows, the IT team can manage a more stable environment, deploy enterprise-wide applications quicker, and achieve compliance around user privileges, roles and access.
RCGT’s IT security team isn’t the only department benefitting from PowerBroker for Windows. The application support team, which maintains a catalog of authorized applications and manages licensing and contracts for those apps, now has a better view of which applications are in use and how frequently employees are using them. This added visibility and control is making it easier for them to manage their application catalog and eliminate unnecessary or unused apps.
The PowerBroker Difference
- Eliminate administrator rights: Prevent intentional, accidental, and indirect misuse of privileges on Windows assets.
- Block suspicious activity: Enforce restrictions on software installation, usage, and OS configuration changes.
- Ensure compliance: Meet internal and external compliance needs by enforcing least-privilege and monitoring privileged activities.
- Ensure productivity: Default all users to standard privileges, while enabling elevated privileges for specific applications and tasks without requiring administrative credentials.
- Pinpoint suspicious activity: Monitor Windows Event Logs for anomalies and analyze through BeyondInsight Behavioral Analytics.
- Allow Admin where needed: Proactively identify applications and tasks that require administrator privileges – and automatically generate rules for privilege elevation.
- Ensure adoption and usability: Provide a modern, easy-to-use interface for end-users, plus an innovative dashboard for solution owners.
With PowerBroker for Windows, we didn’t lose time with a drawn-out implementation nor did we have to change our way of working. Our IT team can now concentrate on ensuring our employees are productive and on streamlining our security and access processes to boost productivity.
– Peter Layoun, IT Director