Challenge: Proactive Approach to Vulnerability Management to Protect Sensitive Information
City of Memphis, which employs more than 8,000 people with an annual budget of approximately $650 million, has developed and led programs that have dramatically reduced crime, increased jobs, improved Memphis’ quality of life, and attracted national attention and investments in the city.
View the testimonial video.
Supporting its citizens and businesses by protecting the city’s sensitive information and infrastructure is a top priority for the City of Memphis. One aspect of City of Memphis’ security mission – vulnerability management – was managed manually and with a variety of tools. Security patches were applied to applications and monitored by the IT team, but there was no solution in place to ensure consistency and help the IT team verify that remediation was effective. Managing such a large infrastructure manually had become too challenging, and City of Memphis needed a greater amount of accountability.
“Open air transparency” is a key tenet of the City of Memphis. As an organization in the public sector, it’s critical that the IT team can pass internal and external audits as well as publicly acknowledge they’ve taken all necessary steps to protect the City’s high value assets and sensitive information.
They needed a solution to monitor and protect a large, diverse IT infrastructure, which consists of both virtual machines and servers operating Microsoft, Linux and Oracle. Interoperability, ease of use and price topped their selection criteria.
Led by Brent Nair, Chief Information Officer, the IT team set out to find a solution that would help them take a more proactive approach to vulnerability management.
Prior to Retina CS – patches were applied but nothing went back to verify that a patch fixed the vulnerability. We did not have a tool to assist us in verifying the patch process was successful. With BeyondTrust’s Retina CS we are able to take a snapshot before, apply the patch, and review our remediation efforts to ensure we properly addressed the vulnerability. – Brent Nair, Chief Information Officer, City of Memphis, Tennessee
After evaluating several vulnerability management solutions, the City of Memphis chose the BeyondTrust Retina CS Enterprise Vulnerability Management solution. With Retina CS, the IT security team now has a solution to help them identify, prioritize, remediate and report on vulnerabilities across their IT infrastructure. The reporting solutions give them an added level of assurance during audits that patches have been consistently applied, and they no longer have to wait until the next security patch update to know whether remediation was effective.
THE POWERBROKER DIFFERENCE
- Zero-Gap Vulnerability Management for Diverse IT Environments – discover and assess any IT resource in your organization.
- Extensive Compliance Coverage – simplify compliance initiatives and reporting for COBIT, GLBA, HIPAA, HITRUST, ISO-27002, ITIL, MASS 201, NERC-FERC, NIST, PCI, SOX, and many more government and industry regulations.
- Comprehensive Discovery – locate known and previously unknown assets across network (local and remote), web, mobile, cloud and virtual environments.
- Patch Management – remediate vulnerabilities with on-board patch management for Microsoft WSUS and SCCM for Microsoft and third-party applications.
- Centralized Dashboards – consolidate and report on enterprise-wide activities.