FAQ: Bomgar Acquisition of BeyondTrust
1. What is occurring between Bomgar and BeyondTrust?
2. Who is Bomgar?
Bomgar is a global leader of privileged access management solutions that secure privileged credentials, sessions, and endpoints, while empowering your workforce to run at the speed and scale of business. Bomgar offers the most comprehensive platform for enabling privileged and remote access, while defending organizations from constant and evolving threats. More than 16,000 customers and millions of users worldwide trust Bomgar to mitigate internal and external attacks, achieve compliance, and gain operational efficiency. Bomgar clients range from midsize to Fortune 100 companies and include some of the world’s most admired and valuable brands. Bomgar is headquartered in Atlanta, GA, with offices across the Americas, EMEA, and Asia Pacific. Connect with Bomgar at www.bomgar.com, the Bomgar Blog, or on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
3. Who is BeyondTrust?
BeyondTrust is the worldwide leader in Privilege-Centric Security, offering the most seamless and straightforward approach to preventing data breaches related to stolen credentials, hijacked insider accounts, and misused privileges.
BeyondTrust’s privileged access management platform is the most extensible on the market, enabling organizations to easily scale their privilege security programs as threats evolve across endpoint, server, cloud and network device environments. Only BeyondTrust unifies the industry’s broadest set of built-in capabilities with centralized management, reporting and analytics, empowering leaders to take decisive and informed actions to defeat attackers. This is backed by a flexible design that simplifies integration with other best-of-breed solutions and boosts the value of our customers’ IT security investments.
With BeyondTrust, organizations gain the visibility and control they need to confidently reduce risk, maintain productivity, and stay out of the headlines. BeyondTrust is trusted by over 4,000 customers and is a global partner network. Learn more at www.beyondtrust.com.
4. Why did Bomgar acquire BeyondTrust?
The combination of Bomgar and BeyondTrust creates a global leader in Privileged Access Management solutions that protect organizations against today’s biggest cybersecurity threats, while empowering them to push business forward. The resulting company will:
- Provide organizations with the world’s most comprehensive privileged access security platform. According to Forrester, 80% of security breaches involve privileged credentials. The combination of BeyondTrust’s market-leading privileged access management platform with Bomgar’s advanced privileged session and endpoint protection solutions will result in the broadest platform for securing and defending organizations against threats related to the compromise and misuse of privileges.
- Enhance and accelerate innovation. Bomgar and BeyondTrust both have a long history of developing pioneering technologies that push markets forward and are loved by users. Our combined resources and talent will allow us to more quickly bring to market innovative software that improves the security posture of our customers without forcing them to compromise business agility or productivity. We’re excited to join forces and work with our more than 19,000 combined customers to address their biggest security challenges today, tomorrow, and for years to come.
- Create an expansive partner ecosystem. Bomgar and BeyondTrust both bring robust partner networks that include leading technology vendors, consulting organizations, service providers, and resellers from around the world. Combining these networks will result in an expansive partner ecosystem that will enable the combined company to scale and improve customer reach and support.
5. How much did Bomgar pay to acquire BeyondTrust?
Financial details of the investment are not being disclosed.
6. What will happen to the Bomgar and BeyondTrust brands?
The combined company will use the BeyondTrust name.
7. What products does Bomgar offer?
Bomgar’s privileged access management solutions secure your privileged credentials, sessions, and endpoints, and enable you to defend them from constant threats, while empowering your workforce to run at the speed and scale of business.
Core products include:
- Privileged Identity: Bomgar Privileged Identity is a proactive cyber defense platform that advances password security for privileged users and IT vendors from day one. Privileged Identity is an enterprise-grade credential management system that continuously discovers and tracks privileged accounts on your cross-platform network, and automatically provides each account with unique and frequently changing credentials.
- Privileged Access: Bomgar Privileged Access enables security professionals to control, monitor, and manage access to critical systems by authorized employees, contractors, and third-party vendors.
- Remote Support: Bomgar Remote Support allows you to quickly access and fix nearly any remote device, running any platform, located anywhere in the world. Bomgar offers the security, integration, and management capabilities your IT and customer support organizations need to increase productivity, improve performance, and deliver a superior customer experience.
- Defendpoint: Defendpoint (by Avecto) combines best-in-class privilege management and application control, making admin rights removal simple and scalable across desktops and servers to ensure security and compliance. Defendpoint protects against the biggest area of attack, protecting corporate IP by removing local admin rights and the most dangerous sysadmin privileges.
8. What products does BeyondTrust offer?
BeyondTrust’s privileged access management platform is the most extensible on the market, enabling organizations to easily scale their privilege security programs as threats evolve across endpoint, server, cloud and network device environments.
Core products include:
- PowerBroker Password Safe: PowerBroker Password Safe is an automated password and privileged session management solution offering secure access control, auditing, alerting and recording for any privileged account – from local or domain shared administrator, to a user’s personal admin account (in the case of dual accounts), to service, operating system, network device, database (A2DB) and application (A2A) accounts – even to SSH keys, cloud, and social media accounts. Password Safe offers multiple deployment options and broad and adaptive device support.
- PowerBroker for Windows: PowerBroker for Windows is a privilege management solution that gives you unmatched visibility and control over physical and virtual desktops and servers.
- PowerBroker for Mac: PowerBroker for Mac is a privilege management solution that reduces the risk of privilege misuse by enabling standard users on Mac OS to perform administrative tasks successfully without entering elevated credentials.
- PowerBroker for Unix & Linux: PowerBroker for Unix & Linux is an enterprise-class, gold-standard privilege management solution that helps security and IT organizations achieve compliance, control privileged access, and prevent and contain breaches that can affect Unix and Linux systems.
- PowerBroker for Sudo: PowerBroker for Sudo provides centralized policy, logging and version control with change management for multiple sudoers files.
- PowerBroker for Networks: PowerBroker for Networks is a privilege management solution that secures and monitors activity on network devices, enabling you to reduce cybersecurity risks and achieve privilege management at scale.
- PowerBroker Identity Services “AD Bridge”: PowerBroker Identity Services centralizes authentication for Unix, Linux and Mac environments by extending Active Directory’s Kerberos authentication and single sign-on capabilities to these platforms.
- Retina CS: Retina delivers large-scale, cross-platform vulnerability assessment and remediation, with available configuration compliance, patch management and compliance reporting.
- PowerBroker Auditing & Security Suite: PowerBroker Auditing & Security Suite provides centralized real-time change auditing for Active Directory, file systems, Exchange, SQL and NetApp; offers the ability to restore Active Directory objects or attributes; and helps to establish and enforce entitlements across the Windows infrastructure.
9. I’m a Bomgar customer, how does this impact me?
There will be no immediate changes to Bomgar’s products in conjunction with this acquisition. Bomgar customers will benefit from the opportunity to improve their security and productivity with the addition of BeyondTrust’s leading privileged access management technology.
10. I’m a BeyondTrust customer, how does this impact me?
There will be no immediate changes to BeyondTrust’s products in conjunction with this acquisition. The current product development and support teams will be integrated with Bomgar’s. This will ensure you receive consistent and uninterrupted product enhancements, support, and service.
11. Will this impact customer service and support?
Customers of both companies will continue to receive the high-quality customer service they have always experienced. The support teams will be appropriately integrated over time to ensure consistent support and service for current Bomgar and BeyondTrust customers.
12. I’m a Bomgar and/or BeyondTrust partner, how will this impact me?
The combined company will increase its emphasis and focus on the partner ecosystem as a key component of our go-to-market strategy and in helping our customers to succeed. We will have more details on the partner integration process in the coming weeks and months. For the immediate future, the transaction does not change the way partners work and interact with either Bomgar or BeyondTrust.
13. Where do I go with questions?
Please contact your Account or Channel Manager with any questions regarding the acquisition.
 Forrester Research, “The Forrester Wave™: Privileged Identity Management, Q3 2016”, Andras Cser, July 6, 2016