AD Bridge Mac Administration Guide
AD Bridge joins Linux and Unix computers to Active Directory so that you can centrally manage all your computers from one source, authenticate users with the highly secure Kerberos protocol, control access to resources, and apply group policies to non-Windows computers.
This guide shows system administrators and security administrators how to use BeyondTrust AD Bridge.
Install the AD Bridge Agent on a macOS Computer
If you are upgrading to macOS 10.15 (Catalina), we recommend you uninstall AD Bridge prior to upgrading the operating system and proceed with a fresh installation of AD Bridge once the operating system is upgraded.
- To obtain the AD Bridge agent installation package for your Mac, browse to www.beyondtrust.com/support and navigate to Downloads.
- Log into the Customer Service Portal.
- Navigate to Downloads > File Downloads and select the following details:
- Product: AD Bridge
- Version: The desired AD Bridge version
- Click Submit and select the ISO file to download.
- Save the AD Bridge DMG file to the macOS desktop.
The AD Bridge DMG file is located in the ISO file's \pbis\agents\macosx.x64\dmg folder.
- Log into the Mac with a local account that has administrative privileges.
- On the Apple menu, click System Preferences.
- Under Internet & Network, click Sharing, and then select the Remote Login check box.
- Turn on remote login to access the Mac with SSH after you install the AD Bridge DMG file.
- In the Finder window, double-click the AD Bridge PKG file.
- Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- After the agent is installed, you are ready to join the Mac computer to an Active Directory domain.
Install the Agent on a Mac in Unattended Mode
The AD Bridge command-line tools can remotely deploy the shell version of the AD Bridge agent to multiple macOS computers. You can automate the installation of the agent using the installation command in unattended mode.
The commands in this procedure require administrative privileges. Replace x.x.x.xxxx with the version and build number indicated in the file name of the SFX installer.
- Use SSH to connect to the target macOS computer.
- Use SCP to copy the DMG installation file to the desktop of the Mac or to a location that can be accessed remotely.
The steps below assume that you copied the installation file to the desktop.
- On the target Mac, open Terminal.
- Use the hdiutil mount command to mount the DMG file under Volumes:
/usr/bin/hdiutil mount Desktop/pbis-x.x.x.xxxx.dmg
- Execute the following command to open the PKG volume:
- Execute the following command to install the agent:
sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/pbis/pbis-x.x.x.xxxx.pkg -target LocalSystem
For more information about the installer command, in Terminal, execute the man installer command.